Skillet Cheesy Chili Mac from Sweet Pea’s Kitchen:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 8 oz (about 2 cups) elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Heat oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, chili powder, cumin, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and brown sugar and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the water and tomato sauce to the ground beef mixture and stir to combine. Add the pasta and stir to combine. Cover the pan and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook until the pasta is al dente, about 12-13 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent the pasta from sticking.
- Turn off the heat under the pan and add 1 cup of cheese. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top and cover the pan again. Let stand for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
Hamburger Helper intensifies